Wednesday, January 1, 2014
New Year Kraut and Kielbasa
14 oz Kielbasa or sausage
1 bag of kraut, drained (canned or jarred works too. 32oz)
2Tbsp butter or margarine
1Tbsp Minced dry onion
1tsp caraway seeds
2Tbsp brown sugar
1. Cut kielbasa in half lengthwise. Grill both sides until no longer pink and browned on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). (I used a grill pan on the stove since it's winter. You can also use a George Foreman or outside grill.)
2. While sausage is cooking, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add kraut, onion, caraway seeds and brown sugar. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Keep stirring while checking on the sausage.
3. Remove the sausage from the grill pan. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces and add them to the kraut mixture.
4. Continue cooking the kraut until it starts to brown.
5. Remove from heat and serve.
**I suggest serving this over mashed potatoes.