Thursday, January 2, 2014
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
3 cups chicken broth (can sub veggie broth, or use boullion/water)
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (Optional)
1. Over medium high heat, melt butter and add onion. Cook until onion is transparent.
2. Add the chicken broth and all the other veggies to the onion. Cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In another bowl, mix together flour and milk until smooth. Add the milk mixture to the pot of veggies. Bring back to a boil. Cook and stir another 2-3 minutes.
4. Serve. (Top with cheese, if desired.)
Makes approximately 6 servings.
**Use this recipe to help clean out the fridge and use up excess veggies!
Wednesday, January 1, 2014
14 oz Kielbasa or sausage
1 bag of kraut, drained (canned or jarred works too. 32oz)
2Tbsp butter or margarine
1Tbsp Minced dry onion
1tsp caraway seeds
2Tbsp brown sugar
1. Cut kielbasa in half lengthwise. Grill both sides until no longer pink and browned on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). (I used a grill pan on the stove since it's winter. You can also use a George Foreman or outside grill.)
2. While sausage is cooking, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add kraut, onion, caraway seeds and brown sugar. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Keep stirring while checking on the sausage.
3. Remove the sausage from the grill pan. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces and add them to the kraut mixture.
4. Continue cooking the kraut until it starts to brown.
5. Remove from heat and serve.
**I suggest serving this over mashed potatoes.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
8oz cream cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese**
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
8oz jar pizza sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly mix the cream cheese and Italian seasoning together. Spread evenly in the bottom of 8 by 8 casserole dish. Top with half of the mozzarella and parm cheeses. Pour the pizza sauce on top of the cheese. (If adding pepperoni, cut it into quarters and add it here.) Then top with remaining cheese, sprinkle with more seasoning.
Bake at 350' for 30 minutes.
Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
**I used the Kraft Touch of Philadelphia Italian blend because it's what I had on hand.. it was amazing! I also used Stacy's Bake Shop Baguette chips to dip. Delicious!
Monday, December 30, 2013
1 package Flour Tortillas
2 bars of Cream Cheese, softened
4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 bag of green onions, cut into small pieces (green part only!)
Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onions until well mixed. Spread over one side of a flour tortilla. Roll the tortilla up and cut into rolls. Continue the process until you run of of cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.