Awesome Roast Chicken & Garlic (with what to save to make White Chicken chili later this week)
Recipe from Pampered Chef
If you have this stoneware/roaster lid set, you can make 2 whole chickens in it. (I didn't make the sauce because we were starving! lol)
1 roasting chicken
2 whole heads garlic, unpeeled
1 small bunch fresh parsley, divided
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. Paprika
1 medium carrot
1 stalk celery
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold running water; pat dry with paper towels. Trim any excess fat from chicken.
2. Slice off top quarter of each garlic head to expose garlic cloves. Separate cloves and discard loose papery skin but do not peel cloves. Place 10 cloves in cavity of chicken. Snip enough parsley to equal 1 Tbl; set aside. Place remaining parsley in cavity of chicken. Tie ends of legs together using cotton string. Rub outside of chicken with salt, black pepper and paprika.
3. Coarsely chop carrot and celery. Place in 9x13" Baker. Place chicken over vegetables. Lift wing tips up toward neck then tuck under back. Sprinkle remaining garlic cloves around chicken. Place Rectangular Lid/Bowl over Baker.
4. Bake chicken 1 hour and 15 minutes. Carefully remove Lid/Bowl from Baker, lifting away from you. Continue baking 15-30 minutes or until Pocket Thermometer registers 180°F in meaty part of thigh and juices run clear. Remove chicken to a Cutting Board. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Remove meat from half of chicken; wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days for use in White Lightning Chicken Chili.
5. Meanwhile, remove garlic cloves from Baker. Wrap and refrigerate 6 cloves for later use in White Chicken Chili. Gently squeeze the flesh from skins of 6 additional cloves, mash. Strain juices from Baker into Bowl; discard vegetables. Skim fat from juices and discard. Add remaining juices to mashed garlic in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in reserved 1 Tbl chopped parsley. Carve remaining half of chicken into thin slices. Serve sauce with chicken.
Yield: 4 servings